Answered

Is it possible to have agent replies to incoming emails always come from a single support account?

• 17 September 2021
  • 8 replies

When a user emails in to our support@companyname.com address, and it shows up in the Intercom inbox, when an agent replies to that message in the inbox, it reveals to the end-user her specific company email address. Is there a way to have all email replies to come from the single, support@companyname.com address? In addition, the reply-to address on the outgoing email exposes the agents' first and last name, e.g. first.last@first-dollar.intercom-mail.com.

I honestly view this as a security issue. Exposing individual agents' individual addresses, and first and last names by default, is nearing a privacy breach. You should at least recommend that agents do NOT user their real first/last names in their accounts.

icon

Best answer by Sam M12 28 July 2023, 12:27

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi @alex d11​, I'm afraid this isn't possible. Each teammate account must be associated with a unique email address. I'm happy to record your feedback in our @Product Wishlist​ group.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Strong +1 to this request. We have people helping out from all parts of the company and exposing their internal, corporate emails is...non-optimal at best.

Having unique logins shouldn't preclude the ability for Intercom from not exposing that to the end-user/client. The interaction already has a unique identifier in the conversation number, so ensuring updates go to the right tickets shouldn't be a huge stretch here. Zendesk does this pretty straightforwardly....

This is super important for my organization as well

Hi @eric f11​ this is really an important need for my company as well, and it's currently preventing as to fully migrate to Intercom from Zendesk, as it's a huge security issue. We really need a solution as we have our migration paused because of this!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @eric f11​ would you be able to provide any context as to why Intercom is set up this way? I just searched this same topic in Intercom's help center and did not find any article addressing this.

Like others, this is a big pain point for our company's Support team. The fact that each individual teammate's actual work email is shown to the customer upon their reply to an inbound conversation has led to many times customers emailing the individual teammates directly. (Those customers open a new email and copy and paste in the individual name@companyname.com if they didn't receive a response in the timeframe they would have liked).

Our marketing team is considering joining our Support team using Intercom, but this something they don't like enough about Intercom to not proceed further with doing so.

Teammates can update their individual profiles to whatever name they want. You don't have to put firstname.lastname even though that is the default. And from the way ours is setup the name of the Workspace is the identifier for the domain not our company domain.

For example, name@workspacename.intercom-mail.com is what the end users sees as the sender.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi, thanks for sharing this idea! I see how that could be a useful workaround. But I'm not sure that would work for my company because we opted for replies to come from @OurCompanyDomain.com instead of @Company.Intercom-Mail.com because the latter option doesn't appear that's it's actually coming from us to some of our users.

This is possible by enabling the ‘Map to inbound email address’ setting. You can read more about it and where to find the setting in this help article: Mapping email replies to inbound address using custom domains