Answered

Can I search Inbox by users phone number?

• 3 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Can I search Inbox by users phone number?
icon

Best answer by User49 3 November 2021, 13:03

View original

4 replies

Badge +1

You can't search for phone number the same way you search for a user.

For me, there is two options.

Option number 1: Have the client write the phone number in a freetext message instead of as a data field - that way you can search for it as content

Option number two:

Add the number you collect as a comment , for that way you can search for it like the option above

Thanks a lot for the tip 😀

Can this please be added to the roadmap?

Intercom is building out entire AI enabled chat bots but does not support something as basic as looking up lead and user information by phone number?

To add additional text fields and duplicate data entry should never be the answer and has the downside of data becoming out of sync, especially for companies that leverage the api and allow users to modify information like phone number and having it update Intercom appropriately.

Solutions like Elastic search,  Solr and many other have been around for years to help simplify finding data in large databases. 

Please consider this improvement as core functionality that should be a given in 2023. 

Thank you

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey there folks!

The Inbox Search feature is definitely moreso focused on searches based on conversation attributes than it is User attributes.

Another way to do this is to look up Users via their phone number in the Contacts page.

Their you can access their Email address or Name and use that to add a User filter for Conversations that are associated with that User in the Inbox Search feature.

This does add an extra step to the search process, which I totally understand can be time consuming! I’ll write up a Feature Request for our team so they know that there’s interest in having more options in that User filter!