Answered

" Enabled push messaging" set to Unknown

• 10 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello!

We are trying to set up push notifications for the iOS mobile app that we are building. We have performed all the steps described here:

https://developers.intercom.com/installing-intercom/docs/ios-push-notifications/p>

Our app requests user's permission to send push notifications, and we are able to see the correct "push notifications enabled" setting in Apple Settings, so we know that requesting permissions works.

At the same time when I look at user profiles in Intercom, all users have "Enabled push messaging" property set to "Unknown", and so we are not able to send push notifications from Intercom.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? Anything we are missing in the configuration?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 11 November 2021, 11:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @olena m11​, it sounds like there's an issue with Step 3 of our installation instructions, "Register Device Tokens". Have you followed these steps as outlined?

Hi @eric f11​ I also have a question about "Enabled push messaging" property. Could you clarify what value it contains and in what case it is updated? I can never see the "false" or "undefined" value if the user is denied access to notifications in the system settings. Is it expected behavior? 

Step 3. "Register Device Tokens" is configured correctly and the application receives Push messages.

Hi @eric f11​ @martijn​ ! We're having the same issue, the push status is never false. It's either unknown or true.

Also when turning off push notifications the status is not being updated correctly when re-opening the app, it's keeping the old values. Also looking at React Native (library) updateUser method it's not possible to set this manually to some different value.

Can you explain why it's unknown in some cases and in other cases it's not? Happens for both Android / iOS

(We're using @intercom/react-native: 3.0.5)).