Answered

Is it possible to find exactly one contact by their External ID or call DELETE on exactly one contact by their External ID?

• 6 December 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

Having to first search by External ID, then grab the correct Intercom-provided User ID and then calling DELETE seems like a lot of steps to be able to delete someone when you already know the External ID. Is there a better way? Can a better way be made?

Doing one call to delete a contact's data instead of three would benefit Intercom too, right?

icon

Best answer by Aparna 9 December 2021, 13:05

View original

8 replies

@rolf​ I hear you. I will flag this with the team.

Is there any update regarding this? @aparna

Also, is it possible to search for contacts using their emails?

Yes you can indeed search contacts via email https://developers.intercom.com/intercom-api-reference/reference/search-for-contacts/p>

No update on this yet.

Bump on this--I'm having to jump through hoops by running a search for a contact first before being able to run contact-specific actions like archive.

Either we'd have to store intercom's internal id (separate from external_id) on our own database--or have to retrieve intercom's id first.

It would be simpler to have email + external id available as contact action request parameters ! I don't see why not, since that already exists for event submission.

Any news since last year ?

+1 for bumping this.  It would benefit Intercom and your clients. The change to limiting contact search from the old API is a big step down for your clients.  Thanks.