Answered

Why are several users with the same email address being created?

• 8 December 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello everyone! 

I have a quick question regarding users. 

I need one email to count as one user.

I'm seeing in my contacts' section that the same email address is appearing many times as individual lines.

I'm adding an example of a member of our team as a screenshot. 

What I would expect here would be for all of this info to be in one and only line. I don't understand why the same email is not grouped.

I tried giving a name and a company to one of them, hoping that it would group the rest, but nothing happened.

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Milan 8 December 2021, 16:04

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@lucas d12​  What are the other attributes that you are using, there is probably a UsedID that differentiates them?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

BTW, you will not be able to merge them. Two (or more) users can not be merged.

There are certain types of profiles you can (and can’t) merge:

• A lead can be merged into a user profile.
  • 2 leads cannot be merged.
  • 2 users cannot be merged. 
  • A user profile cannot be merged back into a lead profile

More info: https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/2614580-merge-lead-and-user-profiles

@user382​, thank you very much for the feedback.

It seems that you are right.

Each one of them has a different userID. Is there a way for me to change the userID? And is there something that I can do to prioritize the email address as an identifier and not the userID?

Thank you once again!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@lucas d12​ you're welcome 😉

Hmmm, the way to update field (attributes) is either:

- through API calls (not sure if it would work for UserID, as I never did that through API)

- through CSV upload in which case I think it will not work for UserID, as it will look for a paid of email+userID to identify a profile that the rest of the attributes should be update, so if you put in csv the same userID and email it will not do the merge but will actually multiple times try to update the rest of the attributes for the same profile (that has that pair of email+userID).

I'd say that the general answer is that you will not be able to merge those users in any way. Or else it would be mentioned in that article.

And to answer your last question - UserIDs are added automatically by Intercom if not by your system (when they become a User your system might set this; while Leads get UserID generated by Intercom). If your system allows multiple users to register with the same email, and they get different UserID, Intercom will always create a new profile.

Sorry if I sound confusing but not knowing how your system works leaves a lot of scenarios that I wanted to address 🙂 maybe you can share more about what your system does, do you have Intercom both on web site and web/mobile app OR just web/mobile app (meaning you will not have Leads, just Users)?