Answered

Is it possible to launch a Custom Bot via the API?

• 3 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Can I initiate the conversation to go to a particular custombot through any API mechanism?

For instance, user does some action on my mobile app/website and sees an error. I know what the error is and want the user to directly go to the custom bot which addresses this particular error. I don't want to use the "Button Click" mechanism which is currently there on intercom.

icon

Best answer by Milan 5 January 2022, 12:36

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hello @arjun​!

The solution would be to set the event when this message pops up (you can actually set one event for all error messages and have error ID as metadata of the event). Then you use this event (and metadata) to trigger a specific custom bot as event-based rule. There might be some delay depending how fast the event is synced to Intercom but should be really quick, not noticeable by the user. Also have on mind limitations of the event-based messaging - one event-based message (bot) can be triggered once in a day at most.

Hope that helps!

Hi Milan,

The metadata information that I am getting has only three attributes - "First Occurred", "Last Occurred" and "count". The other attributes don't seem to be available.

Capture

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@arjun​ That's not metadata. Those are timestamps and counter that Intercom tracks on its own.

You need to choose Event in Event-based part of the rules ("When to send") in Triggers section. What you are showing is Audience part of the Rules. That's where you can select Event too, but not work with metadata.