Answered

Why doesn't the "User Signed Up" event return return the right list of users?

• 21 January 2022
  • 6 replies

We are trying to send an email to any new users that sign up for our product. However, when we use the filter for "Signed Up Less Than 1 Day Ago", we get a list of users who had signed up a long time ago.

Can someone explain how this particular attribute works?

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 21 January 2022, 17:16

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @shanif​, when you say that these users signed up a long time ago, do you mean that this is reflected in their Signed Up attribute in Intercom, or within your own internal database?

Hey @eric f11​, thanks for getting back to me!

Maybe this reflects my ignorance on how Intercom works. I'm referring to our own internal database - the users that are showing up actually signed up to our own product many months ago.

Do you know how Intercom defines this? I tried to find some docs but couldn't find any, thanks!

Userlevel 1

The Signed Up attribute in Intercom is, by default, determined by when the contact is first recorded as a user in Intercom.

If you want this value to match your internal database, I'd recommend integrating your database directly with our REST API. You can read about our API endpoints in our Developer Docs.

Well that was my impression as well, but why would a user who is already a user be listed as "first getting a user id" in the past few days? Could there be something weird where a user is getting a new Intercom user id more recently than when they first signed up?

Userlevel 1

That's most likely because you've passed that user_id for them somewhere in the Intercom Messenger Javascript! I'd recommend reviewing your configuration here and checking which value you're passing for the user_id parameter.

Interesting, thanks for letting me know, I'll take a look.

Also very much appreciate the active support on this forum. Most product forums are totally devoid of folks who can help! Thanks 🙏