Answered

Should I use Intercom to email my entire user list, regardless of activity?

• 16 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Any good reason not to utilize Intercom for sending marketing emails to our whole email list, whether they have ever interacted with our site/app or not?

I feel like Intercom's expected use case is engagement with only the people who have interacted with your site or app in some way, and not for people whom we know about from our Sales team and outbound efforts.

At our small-ish size I'd like to use one tool for all emails, instead of Intercom for users and something else like Sendgrid for the other leads.

To accomplish this I would setup an integration where all our new Salesforce contacts were sent to Intercom as Leads, using something like Zapier.

Would you recommend this or not, and why? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 17 February 2022, 12:28

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hey @david f12​ 👋 from my own experience on our Support team, I'd recommend that you only ever email leads who are recent and whose email addresses you've been able to verify, and users who have engaged with your platform within the last 180 days.

Sending large-scale email blasts can leave you vulnerable to hitting spam traps, hard bounces and low open rates. These can impact your domain's sending reputation and, in the worst case scenario, could see your email sending restricted with Intercom.

It's good practice to regularly verify the email addresses you have stored for contacts (there are numerous third-party tools which can help you here) and to only email contacts where you know their email address is valid and where they've been active on your platform within the last six months.