Answered

The response of admin_initiated_message with create_conversation as true is missing "conversation_id" from response. "https://developers.intercom.com/intercom-api-reference/reference/admin-initiated-conversation".

• 7 April 2022
  • 4 replies

I'm trying to send a new message using "https://developers.intercom.com/intercom-api-reference/reference/admin-initiated-conversation" api and i'm sending `create_conversation_without_contact_reply` key as true in the payload but the response received doesn't contain any conversation_id in it as described in api_documentation.

What i trying to do is to get the conversation_id and then instead of sending a new message every time, Send a message as reply to this conversation.

Am i missing something here? Or is there any work around available to handle my scenario?

icon

Best answer by Lisa B11 12 April 2022, 08:41

View original

4 replies

Hey @user1784​ 👋

Where is it you are seeing "conversation ID" will be returned in our documentation? The conversation ID isn't returned, you would need to search for the contacts conversations using the Message ID returned in the call.

Image 2022-04-12 at 7.40.02 a.m.

Here in the message model, conversation_id is given when creating a new convo and i was sending the key "create_conversation_without_customer_reply" as true so i was expecting there would be a conversation_id in response. I've found a work around for it by searching for conversation by matching the "source.id" key to the returned newly created message id in response.

Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 12.57.43 PM

Is this a bug, or is the documentation out of date? The documentation for Create a conversation says "This will return the Message model that has been created", and the Message model documentation says the the conversation_id is "Only returned when creating a conversation."

In any case, i'll use the same workaround as Grey Diamond.

It turns out my API version was what was out of date. I needed to upgrade it to 2.5 in the app settings.