Answered

Pass user from Outgrow back to Intercom

Hi, we have a custom bot that we've built and we are running it on this page - https://usndemo.wpengine.com/weddings/venues/.We have some standard Intercom paths that serve up options and information and in one of the paths (Provide an Estimate) we are pulling in an Outgrow.co survey app that we have built. The hand off to Outgrow works pretty well. But when you get to the end of our survey we want to pass the user back to Intercom to continue the conversation and ask more questions. We can't seem to figure this out. Outgrow has given some recommendations on having their app redirect back to the URL (which is in place on the link above) but it's a very poor user experience. Hoping that there is some option within Intercom to make this more graceful. Or maybe we've set this up all wrong and there is a better approach overall? I've looked and searched and can't find anything, but hoping maybe I'm missing something?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Aparna 12 May 2022, 11:37

View original

9 replies

Hey @brian f12​! Did you opt to disable the composer in the bot path? Here is an article on that.

Aparna, thank you. I had to update that link above prior to you reviewing, so I'm not sure you saw what the issue was. I've made a video showing the issue that we are having. Link is below. We just want to keep the user in the Intercom chat once they are done with the Outgrow survey. Once Outgrow completes and serves the result, we want to serve the user some more Intercom questions. Let me know what you think, thank you!

https://www.loom.com/share/dd28765a00384366a67b0e21b9a80343/p>

Hey @brian f12​ !

For outbound custom bot the composer is disabled during the bot flow. Once the bot is completed the composed becomes open. With the "disable the composer" follow-up action defined: the composer is always closed during and at the end of the bot flow. Have you disabled the composer in bot flow path? If so I would suggest enabling it and see how it works?

@aparna​ thank you. I'm not sure you're following the question that I'm asking. Please go here and follow the path for Provide an Estimate - https://usndemo.wpengine.com/our-hotel/demo-test/.You'll see that we are pulling in an App from Outgrow. At the end of the Outgrow questions we are not looking to end the chat, we are looking to find a way to get the conversation back to Intercom. Is there a way to do this through some type of command or some sort of code that would keep the chat bubble/window going but pass the control back to Intercom?

Thank you.

Hey @brian f12​ ! Let me check with the team and get back to you.

@brian f12​ ! I checked with the team and looks like there isn't much that could be done on our end. They asked to check with the Outgrow support because it is a third-party integration.

@aparna​ I've checked with them and they don't have a solution for this either. Might you be able to share a method in which this can be done? is there some specific coding required? If I have then, them I sure I can go back to them and try and have them add it.

Thank you.

@aparna​ Also, I guess I'll ask a different question. Does Intercom have functionality that can replace what we are using Outgrow for? We are using Outgrow to ask a few questions, and then do some pretty simple calculations based on the answers provided? is there a way to use Data Attributes to do this? or some other method? we used to use another chat platform and there was a way to do some simple custom scripting. Does Intercom have this ability?

Thank you again.

@brian f12​ ! To answer your first question, there isn't an option/method using API or code at the moment on our end. To your second question, you can use a custom bot to collect the information, but there isn't a way to make a calculation. Would automatic calculation be a blocker in just using the custom bot?