Answered

I am getting crashes today on intercom android . Intercome version : 12.1.1

I am getting huge amount of crashes on intercom android SDK . The stack trace is. These are appearing on my bugsnag.

com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: Expected a vh.n but was vh.p

at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapters$35$1.read(TypeAdapters.java:897)

at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:932)

at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:897)

at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:846)

at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:817)

at io.intercom.android.sdk.api.ErrorStringExtractorKt.extractErrorString(ErrorStringExtractor.kt:8)

at io.intercom.android.sdk.api.Api$1.onError(Api.java:222)

at io.intercom.android.sdk.api.BaseCallback.handleError(BaseCallback.java:43)

at io.intercom.android.sdk.api.BaseCallback.onResponse(BaseCallback.java:28)

at retrofit2.DefaultCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1.lambda$onResponse$0(DefaultCallAdapterFactory.java:89)

at retrofit2.DefaultCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1.$r8$lambda$hVGjmafRi6VitDIrPNdoFizVAdk(DefaultCallAdapterFactory)

at ux.i.run(Unknown:6)

at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:938)

at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)

at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:246)

at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:8595)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:-2)

at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:602)

at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1130)

icon

Best answer by Daniel M15 1 June 2022, 12:42

View original

13 replies

Similar issue here and i dont see a pattern on device model/android version

image.png 

Firebase stacktrace:

Fatal Exception: com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: Expected a com.google.gson.JsonObject but was com.google.gson.JsonPrimitive; at path $

at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapters$34$1.read(TypeAdapters.java:920)

at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:991)

at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:956)

at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:905)

at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:876)

at io.intercom.android.sdk.api.ErrorStringExtractorKt.extractErrorString(ErrorStringExtractor.kt:8)

at io.intercom.android.sdk.api.Api$1.onError(Api.java:222)

at retrofit2.DefaultCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1.lambda$onResponse$0(DefaultCallAdapterFactory.java:89)

at retrofit2.DefaultCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1.lambda$onResponse$0$DefaultCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1()

at retrofit2.-$$Lambda$DefaultCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1$hVGjmafRi6VitDIrPNdoFizVAdk.run(:6)

at android.os.Looper.loopOnce(Looper.java:210)

at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:299)

at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:8250)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java)

at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:556)

at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1045)

What is the intercom version you are using?

Also using 12.1.1

We will update to 12.2.2 next week to se if fixes this issue.

Userlevel 2

Hey @sourabh a​! Daniel from Customer Support Engineering here 🔧 

Have you had a chance to try upgrading your Android SDK to the latest version (V12.4.0)?

If you have, and you are still experiencing the error, can I ask when this started to occur for you? Was this your first time installing the SDK, or was it working prior to this?

Let me know and we'll go from there! 😁

Hello, we experienced the same crash multiple times including two times with many users impacted:

• On May 11th: 510 crash events affecting 355 users (SDK version mainly 9.2.0)
  • On June 6th: 1525 crash events affecting 646 users (SDK version mainly 12.2.2)
  • On June 14th: 47 crash events affecting 42 users (SDK version mainly 12.2.2)

More recent SDK versions changelog do not mention fixing this crash so at the moment updating the SDK won't be enough unfortunately.

We also experienced the crash in debug while testing the app when the SDK received a 504 timeout error with the following stacktrace:

2022-06-14 11:17:52.572 3297-3297/com.qonto.debug E/Intercom: Failed to register or update user: <html><head><title>504 Gateway Time-out</title></head><body><center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center></body></html>
2022-06-14 11:17:52.572 3297-3297com.qonto.debug D/AndroidRuntime: Shutting down VM
2022-06-14 11:17:52.573 3297-3297/com.qonto.debug E/AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main
Process: com.qonto.debug, PID: 3297
com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: Expected a com.google.gson.JsonObject but was com.google.gson.JsonPrimitive; at path $
at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapters$34$1.read(TypeAdapters.java:920)
at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:991)
at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:956)
at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:905)
at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:876)
at io.intercom.android.sdk.api.Api$1.onError(Api.java:225)
at retrofit2.DefaultCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1.lambda$onResponse$0$retrofit2-DefaultCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1(DefaultCallAdapterFactory.java:89)
at retrofit2.DefaultCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1$$ExternalSyntheticLambda1.run(Unknown Source:6)

Could you have a look, this is really affecting the quality of our app.

Thank you

@daniel m15 (Intercom Employee)​ ​ we also have almost the same stacktrace:​ ​ we also have almost the same stacktrace:

Fatal Exception: com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: Expected a com.google.gson.JsonObject but was com.google.gson.JsonPrimitive; at path $
at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapters$34$1.read(TypeAdapters.java:68)
at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:20)
at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:4)
at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:9)
at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java)
at io.intercom.android.sdk.api.ErrorStringExtractorKt.extractErrorString(ErrorStringExtractorKt.java:33)
at io.intercom.android.sdk.api.Api$1.onError(Api.java:38)
at io.intercom.android.sdk.api.BaseCallback.handleError(BaseCallback.java:5)
at io.intercom.android.sdk.api.BaseCallback.onResponse(BaseCallback.java:35)
at retrofit2.DefaultCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1.lambda$onResponse$0(DefaultCallAdapterFactory.java:25)
at retrofit2.DefaultCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1.$r8$lambda$hVGjmafRi6VitDIrPNdoFizVAdk(DefaultCallAdapterFactory.java)
at retrofit2.DefaultCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1$$InternalSyntheticLambda$0$daf5173ad73a9dc0e8131143f299c222e2ca4cddd7cb10b2d0a6e331a0602ae1$0.run(DefaultCallAdapterFactory.java:6)
at android.os.Looper.loopOnce(Looper.java:226)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:313)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:8663)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:567)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1135)

Intercom SDK version: 12.4.1

Userlevel 2

Hey all - could you please write directly in to the Intercom Messenger for this issue? It would be helpful for troubleshooting the issue further and pulling up the correct details, etc. If we find the root of the issue, we will share it here on the forum for other users to access. Thank you!

Hi guys, just checking if this issue was resolved after 12.2.2? We'll be releasing an update to our app next week with Intercom SDK 12.4.2. We are currently on 12.2.2 and received crash reports on Android on days that posts were sent out (same stack trace):

Screenshot 2022-06-30 at 10.31.23 Screenshot 2022-06-30 at 10.35.07 

We are also experiencing the same problem with our app. (using react native, but affecting android only for us).

I do see a clear pattern here though, we are all experiencing it the same days. All with a similiar kind of problem of unreadable data that causes the entire app to crash.

May 11th

June 6th

June 14th

June 28th and today:

Juli 5th.

We are using the latest version of Intercom for react native (3.0.4).

Yes, we also received the crashes on the same days mentioned above. I was using the latest version. I was using the latest version 12.4.2'

. I ended up removing the intercom from android as it was severely impacting our user experience.

Yesterday (July 5) same thing - still on 12.2.2. Intercom, we need an answer here. This is a major issue. @daniel m15​ 

Userlevel 2

Hey all, thank you for your patience while you awaited a response on this one 🙏

Our engineering team have informed us that this issue has been caused by some recent outages that we experienced. I've been advised that updating your SDK to 12.4.2 should fix the issue, though I know that some of you have mentioned that you experienced the same thing on that same version. I'm going to flag this one with our engineering team to let them know about this, and I will keep you updated as I receive responses from them.

@sourabh a​ - could I please ask you to contact us via our Messenger about this issue? If you can, please reference this thread and mention that you are on the newest SDK version and we can go from there. We just may need some information like your app ID and other sensitive information that we wouldn't want you to include on a public forum.

Thank you all once again for your patience as you've awaited an update on this issue. We know that this is a problematic bug and we're working to resolve it as soon as possible. In the meantime, we highly recommend releasing a version of your app with the most recent SDK installed as soon as possible to try and prevent the issue from occurring again.

@daniel m15​  I checked with the team. They were using 12.4.1. If it was not fixed in this version then it is fine.