Answered

Set lead email, name and a few custom attributes?

• 9 June 2022
  • 1 reply

Hey there,

I'm using the Intercom JS messenger widget. I'd like to pre-populate it with information from my app (name, email and a few custom fields).

I see a few possible ways to kind of do what I'm looking to do, but they all require a `user_id`, which I believe is the intercom user ID.

Is there a way to configure the Messenger without knowing the intercom user ID? Ideally something like —

window.intercomSettings = {
app_id: YOUR_APP_ID,
user: {
email: THE_EMAIL
user_id_on_my_app: THE_ID
custom_attribute: SOMETHING
}
}

Is that possible?

icon

Best answer by Evan P 16 June 2022, 13:51

View original

1 reply

Hi @connor m12​ 👋 thanks for reaching out! I'm one of the Support Engineers here @ Intercom! 👍

So this user_id is actually set by yourselves when creating the user in Intercom. This isn't required when creating your users however it is recommended.

You can use the email address as the unique identifier for the user, the only caveat is that there can multiple users with the same email address which can cause confusion or errors to be thrown when trying to login as one of these users.

We have developer docs here which run through this installation type. Although these docs mention user_id you aren't required to pass it over as I mentioned. The email address will be used to identify the user.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions👍