Answered

Will contact.created events ever have `companies` populated?

In my current integration, I made an assumption that if a contact was created and associated to a company that contact's company details would come in on the `contact.created` webhook notification. However, I'm no longer convinced that this is ever the case as I see the creation of a contact and attaching it to a company are always done in 2 separate requests in the UI or via API. Is there ever a case where the `contact.created` notification would contain the contact's company details? I haven't been able to make it work even making the attach to company API request in quick succession after creating a contact.

Are there other webhook notifications we could use to know when the contact becomes attached to a company or any other alternative approaches we could use besides polling the contact for updates?

icon

Best answer by Evan P 23 June 2022, 15:21

View original

2 replies

Hey @user1303​  👋 thanks for reaching out! I'm one of the Support Engineers here at Intercom! 👍

The company object is included in the user.created topic but you are correct in your understanding that it won't show up within the contact.created topic. The reason for this is how you explained, within the UI, Javascript Snippet and REST Api there is no possible way to create a lead & a company with the exact same action, it always requires two actions.

You could potentially use the Company.created to get a payload sent when a company is created however this may not exactly fit your use case.

I can pass this along to the product team as a feature request if you'd like so that we can potentially see something like this in the future & put this on the product teams radar! 🙌

Thanks for the response @evan p​. For now we're going to delay processing these events for 5 minutes in an effort to wait for the record to be attached to a company.