Answered

Is there a way to retrieve only a conversation part from the API without retrieving the full conversation?

• 7 July 2022
  • 1 reply

I know I can get the entire conversation which contains a list of all the conversation parts but that's overkill for my needs. I have a workflow automation tool that needs to check whether a particular conversation part has already been redacted and would like to get right to that data.

icon

Best answer by Magnus 9 July 2022, 00:42

View original

1 reply

Hey @user1344​, Magnus from Intercom Support here 👋

There's currently, as of API version 2.5, no way to retrieve only a conversation part even if you know the exact that part id. The best way to check a specific part would be to retrieve the conversation, and then iterate over the parts on the client (which I'm guessing is what you're doing 😅).

If you try to redact a part that is already redacted, we send a "Part can't be redacted" response. If the end goal is to redact the part, you could try to redact the part without retrieving the conversation at first, and see if that response is returned. This would only work if you know that you want to redact the part, and there are other reasons you might get this error - so it is far from perfect, but could be an alternative!