Answered

Can I use metadata from an event in creating a segment?

• 25 July 2022
  • 3 replies

I have an event that comes from Stripe called "received discount" which has metadata coupon_id, percent_off, amount_off, and duration. I want to be able to create a filtered view for users that received discount with a specific coupon_id. I am able to view this event and metadata in the user profile it just appears that for filtering purposes you can only filter on date or count.

icon

Best answer by Daniel M15 27 July 2022, 17:47

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2

Hey @nick l14​! Daniel from Customer Support Engineering here 🔧 

At the moment, it's not possible to use event metadata to filter your users in-app.

If this is something that you'd like to see implemented in the future, make sure to drop it in our Product Wishlist Group 😊 And remember to keep your eyes on our Built For You page to stay up to date with all of our latest product announcements and updates 👀

I was just trying to answer the same question and found this page:

https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/175-set-up-event-tracking-in-intercom#h_0b88240c5d

Note that you actually state:

Metadata is perfect for filtering your customers

Given the response here, I find the above quite misleading! You might want to change the above doc, if it has misstated what you can do with event metadata.

Hello - any update on this ? Filtering with event metadata (i.e. properties) is a must have and best practice across the industry. It allows an event taxonomy in line with best practices and avoids the duplication of events e.g. 1 per property value. Also the help center is confusing …