Answered

Is there any way we can work around the limitations that the article has?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Is there any way we can work around the limitations that the article has? We have some pretty long articles, with several sections, and we can't manage them with such restricted tools. 

Maybe there's a way we can make it work?

icon

Best answer by Kevin Bendixen 29 July 2022, 15:55

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Without knowing what you want to achieve, it's really hard to answer this. What exactly is limiting you? Why are your articles so long? Did you consider splitting them in smaller articles to make them more specific to certain actions or questions from the customer?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Kevin, you're right, I'm sorry. Here's what we're struggling with: we can't include any HTML element into our articles to make them more interactive, such as collapsible boxes, zoomable pictures (not to mention we can't redimension them), include a content table, put sticky titles, set a shadow for our pictures to make them prettier, highlight segments as notes, cards, boxes of information, from a long etc. Some of our articles, for example our glossaries are long lists of terms, it wouldn't make much sense to make them apart.

We're just migrating to Intercom articles and we feel we've lost a lot of features.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@lucía​ All good, my response sounded rougher than I intended.

You are right, most of the "limitations" don't have a workaround yet, others such as table of content are already reported in the @Product Wishlist​ (I think), you could add the rest there as well.

But I do have some tips:

• We use shadows for our screenshots as well, I just created a Photoshop action to add them to every screenshot and save it as a PNG. I also added steps to change the dimensions of the screenshots (another benefit is that it's quicker to load than a redimensioned picture).
  • If you don't use code excerpts in your articles, you can use that formatting to create something that stands out.
  • Check Intercoms own Helpdesk, to get some more ideas of what you can do, for exampleBildschirmfoto 2022-07-29 um 15.50.26

or

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-29 um 15.30.19

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I agree that articles could do with some feature upgrades! We are dealing with some of those issues you mentioned as well.

For now, we are creating our table of contents manually, which can be really annoying in long articles.

imageAdditionally, when we have glossaries, we put a tip at the top to encourage readers to use CTRL + F to find specific terms in an article.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you, both. We'll see how we can workaround for now.