Answered

How do I get Intercom to identify the user on my webapp?

• 6 September 2022
  • 1 reply

I am using Intercom for my webapp. The webapp has a slack login, and I want Intercom Company, User details to be updated basis who has logged in through slack.

How does Intercom currently handle this? What are the best practises that one should be aware off?

Use case:

1. Product tours need to be personalised
  2. Rules for Intercom series require metadata on user login, which Intercom currently doesnt have.
icon

Best answer by Racheal 9 September 2022, 02:50

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @unmukt​ Racheal from the support engineer team here👋🏼

You will just need to utilize our installation for logged in users. This is an example of how that would look:

<script>
var APP_ID = "WORKSPACE_ID"; // Replace this with your workspace ID
window.intercomSettings = {
app_id: APP_ID,
name: "Jane Doe", // Full name
email: "customer@example.com", // Email address
created_at: 1312182000 // Signup date as a Unix timestamp
};
</script>
<script>(function(){var w=window;var ic=w.Intercom;if(typeof ic==="function"){ic('reattach_activator');ic('update',w.intercomSettings);}else{var d=document;var i=function(){i.c(arguments);};i.q=[];i.c=function(args){i.q.push(args);};w.Intercom=i;var l=function(){var s=d.createElement('script');s.type='text/javascript';s.async=true;s.src='https://widget.intercom.io/widget/#39; + APP_ID;var x=d.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];x.parentNode.insertBefore(s,x);};if(w.attachEvent){w.attachEvent('onload',l);}else{w.addEventListener('load',l,false);}}})();</script>

Your team will need to dynamically pass in your user data, as well as create the user attributes you would like to track. I'll attach an Article here to help get you started!