Question

When I set up a pointer and choose "click on an element" with dynamically created links in my app (kinda like individual emails in a gmail), I can set it all up, but when I re-open my tour I'm told Intercom can't find the element. Advice?

• 26 September 2022
  • 1 reply

It seems like the Tour code from Intercom loads before my page So, when the pointer looks for the element to point to, it's not there yet.

This can't be a unique situation. Every SaaS has dynamic content.

Please help? :-)

1 reply

Userlevel 2

Hey @nik p​! Daniel from Customer Support Engineering here 🔧 

It sounds like your tour isn't set up for a dynamic URL. Rather than set a rule so that the user's current URL should exactly match a specified URL, you can set a rule for your tour to only fire on URLs that contain a certain string of text. If your site URL looks like "example.com/[unique id]/tour", just create a rule so that the site contains "example.com" and contains "/tour" 👍

If you're still experiencing issues, then we can assume that the CSS selectors (generated by the tour builder for pointer steps) are not able to find the correct element on the page. The best way to prevent this is to edit the HTML element(s) you wish to point to and add a special data attribute in the form

data-intercom-target=”...”. You can read more about how to do this in this great Help Center article. Once you've done this, you can reselect the element and your tour should hopefully fire as intended!

Hope this helps 👋