Answered

Is it possible to send automated replies for inbound emails for emails containing specific keywords?

• 7 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello.

I would like to know if it's possible to set automated replies for inbound emails for emails containing specific keywords. Example: If a user is emailing us to delete his account and has the keyword "delete account" on that email, so we would like to automatically send the user an email, explaining the process to delete the account.

icon

Best answer by Dan Allen 9 October 2023, 16:23

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @rohan k​ 

There is a way to do it, but it's not that, out-of-the-box simple 🙂

Firstly, you need to have an Inbox rule that will be triggered on any new conversation started with an additional rule that the message content contains a "delete account" string. And the activity you need to set in Then area is a Custom action. Like this:

inbox rule 

Secondly, you will need to create that specific Custom action under Settings > Apps & Integrations > Custom actions. Custom actions can use any API you have access to so you can connect Intercom to other systems using their API. In this case, you would actually be connecting the Intercom to itself! 🙂 You will be using Intercom API and instruct Intercom to fire out Conversation Reply API for that conversation where custom action is being triggered.

It would look something like this:

custom action1 

custom action2 

If you need further help, feel free to ask!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@rohan k​ I have an update on this - I noticed at one of my client's Intercom workspaces that there is Auto Reply (beta) feature. See screenshot.

Not 100% what you are looking for as there are no rules that can be set, but at least a step towards it.

@Product Wishlist​ please add rules under this feature / or / add reply options in Inbox rules. 🙂

image.png

Hi All,

There’s a further solution here now too. Rather than having to set up inbox rules (which don’t allow for outbound replies to be sent), or the “Auto Reply Beta” (which is static and cannot be changed based on the content of the inbound email, you can now set up custom replies for different query types.

(below example is only a guide and is therefore only rough)

To do this, create a new workflow using the “Auto-reply to emails with expected reply time” template:

Next, in your branch, enter “if message content contains...” and enter as many variations of the query as relevant (eg cancel order, cancellation, order no longer needed, I don’t need my order etc)

Add your path’s and select “message” to write your email response:

IMPORTANT - this workflow overrides any of your inbox rules (eg any rules that assign emails to specific queues), if you need these rules to remain active it s best to bake them into your workflow. Do this by clicking “+” under your message and select “assign” or “tag” etc

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Dan Allen , great insights, thanks so much for sharing that with other users! 🙌