Question

Why are messages from existing threads with clients suddenly being sent to Spam?

• 10 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Messages from existing threads with clients are suddenly being sent to Spam, and this causes the team to miss out on their replies.

What could be the cause of the this? Understand there is an option to mark the email as 'Not Spam', but keen to look into what the issue is to prevent this from happening again.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @huishan​ 

Just to check - are you saying that it ends up in the spam folder of your teammates (not the client)? What is set to be the sender's address in Intercom and have you verified that domain?

Hi @user382​ , thanks for the reply!

The email is from an internal partner (outside of my direct teammates whom i share the Intercom inbox with) in an ongoing conversation on Intercom. We noticed that some of their recent emails had been routing into our spam folder even though we had previously been receiving emails from them (in other conversations) with little issue. The address that they are using is in a very standard non-spam looking format of 'name@company.com'.

We're unsure if the emails were also going into the client's spam folder as they had not flagged this to us.

As we have not made any changes to our inbox settings etc., we're wondering what might be the cause for this as it's resulting in us missing out on valuable information. We have also not noticed this happening in any of our conversations with other clients.

Badge +1

I would recommend checking to see if yours or their domain has been blacklisted. You can do so here:

https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx/p>

Intercom, like other companies, will determine spam by partially relying on some bigger spam-checking companies like SORBS. Ie, if SORBS blacklists a domain, it's likely that Intercoms system will see it that way too.

There may be some other explanations, but since you're finding this happening suddenly and it was fine before, I'd say the domain being blacklisted is likely, as I've encountered this issue as well.

If they are blacklisted at all you can appeal with whichever provider is blacklisting and it'll be removed pretty quickly, at least in my case when dealing with a SORBS blacklist.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

So if I understand correctly there are 3 parties in here, that participate the conversation.

A) a user let's say user@gmail.com

B) your teammate(s) teammate@yourcompany.com

C) someone from the partner's side partner@partner.com (and they are not accessing and answering through Intercom, right?)

The conversation is delivered via email, and whenever partner (C) responds (via email, not via Intercom), their email ends up in the spam folder of your teammate, right?

If that is the case, it does not have anything to do with Intercom, but like Zak above said, the partner domain (email server) might have a bad reputation which then your email server uses to decide that this is spam.

If you have another case, where this partner is having access to your Intercom and actually replying via Inbox (which means that the Intercom is the one responsible for sending the email), and they want to use their partner@partner.com email address (the email they sign up with to Intercom) then you need to add their domain to your Intercom email settings (Settings > Email > Domains). It will require action on the partner's side too.