Question

How do we get the Id of our custom data attributes?

• 12 October 2022
  • 4 replies

The Update Data Attribute API (Update a data attribute (intercom.com)) requires an ID to be passed in the URL. But as far as I can tell, there's no mechanism to retrieve the ID's. Can we use the attribute name?

4 replies

Badge +1

I've tested this out and it looks like the List all data attributes page is just quite unclear, as it's response example does not include the ID in it, however I've found out why.

Some of the attributes are not API updateable. These ones will not have an ID that you can get, but all ones that are will have one.

You can get the IDs of your attributes by performing a GET request to https://api.intercom.io/data_attributes

This will return all of the attributes including the IDs for ones that are API writeable.

Example of attribute that is not API writeable, and thus has no ID:

Example of attribute that is API writeable, and thus has an ID:

Sadly, it doesn't seem that it's possible to filter the request in anyway to sort by only API_writeable results, but you can hopefully save the data somewhere and get the IDs in order to utilize the update a data attribute query.

Hope that helps!

Badge +1

@Azure Radio 277​ Please review this for feedback on this model; the documentation is unclear.

Also it would be handy if ID's were available somewhere else, or a simpler API call to grab them that doesn't result in a large payload of data that will effectively be discarded.

In addition having the functionality to better filter the queries would be excellent.

Hi Zak,

Ok, so Id IS part of the data model, it just isn't documented. Additionally, it is not returned for bult-in attributes, which is what I was initially looking at. Yea, this documentation needs some work. Thank you!

Badge +1

Yup correct! No problem 🙂