Answered

Problem with Tooltips not loading on a dynamically generated page.

• 26 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Got a problem that I would appreciate help with - it seems like Intercom is loading 'too fast', specifically for tooltips on my site.

I can build a tooltip, but when I preview/test it, Intercom has already loaded and errors out, telling me the CSS selector doesn't exist, when the page on our site is still loading/rendering (our page takes about 1.5 seconds - 2 seconds to load on a search result heavy page).

Then, after a few seconds, the page renders and the tooltips don't load. Intercom doesn't have a 'delay tooltips until page rendering complete' type function, and when I put it on an item in the navigation bar with static content, it works fine. This issue is mostly for dynamic content - search results, etc, where they would be much more useful

In know if I was using Google Tag Manager, I can delay the loading of a tag, not sure what effect this would have if we tried it with Intercom? For some background, Intercom is loading directly from the code when the page is rendered, not via GTM.

Thanks in advance for the help! A "wait until page renders to load tooltips" option would be great!😁

icon

Best answer by Daniel M15 3 November 2022, 18:28

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2

Hey @dan j​! Daniel from Customer Support Engineering here 🔧 

I recommend trying to the option to locate the element by "text" rather than by CSS selector. It is slightly more reliable in certain cases where elements are not instantly able to load. We don't currently offer a way to "delay" the loading, and we advise against trying to force this. If you're still experiencing issues, please contact us via the Messenger and we can dig into whether or not we suspect it is a bug 👍

Hello

We have the same problem !

Tooltips were working fine until 2/3 weeks ago.

I think DanJ find the issue.

And for us, and i guess for lot of others users, the option by text is not really usable on our app.

Just to add - this is quite frustrating and severely limits the use of tooltips in the platform. With product tours, we can have a splash screen that means the elements have loaded by the time the tour kicks in, but with tooltips this isn’t the case. It should delay until the page is loaded.