Answered

I can't select the drop-down on a product tour

• 4 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Here is what I'm trying to do:

1. Select the box for the pop up options
  2. Select an option

Here's a video, and I'm not sure why I can't figure this out?

intercom 

2022-12-04_10-50-222022-12-04_10-50-54

icon

Best answer by Racheal 6 December 2022, 03:32

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @user2397​ Racheal from the support engineer team here👋 

Dropdowns are still not 100% suitable to be used on Product Tours at this stage. If you are trying to target the dropdown element before it has been opened, you will not be able to use "next" or "click on the element" options. This is because if you choose next, then your end user will not be able to open the dropdown menu by clicking on it, as the only place they can click will be the "next" button on the Product Tour pointer.

And if you choose "clicking on the element" then the end user will move to the next step as soon as they click on the dropdown element to open it, they will move to the next step before they are able to choose an item inside the dropdown list.

In this case, the best option seems like using the "fill in the field" option.

imageBut with this option, your users will need to pick an option on the dropdown and when they do, the page will get refreshed, and then in order to pass to the next step they will still need to click on "next" button. That is why the best call would be to put something like "Choose the option and then click next below" so your end users will know that they will need to click next after choosing the option in the dropdown.

Badge

Hi @Racheal ! Many thanks for your response to this question. Are there any plans on improving this capacity of the product tours?

As an alternative to your suggestion, I wish product tour step would have an option to have the post with instructions that doesn’t obstruct user from completing the step. E.g if there us a drop-down menu, the user could complete the instructions suggested by the product tour step and then click “done”. Currently, post blocks the entire screen. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Aleksei O !

I don’t currently know of any plans around improvements for that dropdown issue. We have made a Feature Request to the team for this, though!

A Post isn’t ideal in this scenario for exactly the reason that you mentioned, it can cover up the element that you are trying to draw the user’s action to. A pointer message allows you to point to the element so the User knows where they are supposed to be looking. It also serves the added bonus of knowing what element you’re currently discussing, so it can move out of the way.

+1 for this. Implementing actions triggered by dropdown selection options is essential; without this functionality, the tool's capabilities are significantly constrained.