Question

Link to Help Center & Identify User via ID or Email?

• 6 December 2022
  • 2 replies

We are trying to use intercom for a cross-platform Desktop & Mobile app. Unfortunately, Intercom does not support desktop apps. Therefore, we'd like to link to the help center instead.

When we link to the help center, we'd like to be able to identify the user. Two questions:

1. Is it possible to link to the help center, passing two query parameters for the User ID & User Hash, so the Messenger can securely identify the user?
  2. Is it possible to pass a query parameter of some kind to open the messenger right away?

2 replies

Userlevel 2

Hey @brian e​! Daniel from Customer Support Engineering here 🔧 

Intercom can identify your logged in users in the Help Center if they share a top level domain. This requires you to set up a custom domain and cookie forwarding for your Help Center, and configure SSL, following all the steps in this guide. It is not possible, however, to trigger the Messenger to fire immediately on this page; the user will have to open it manually. Please see the attached articles for more information.

Hope this helps 👋

Thanks Daniel. Yes, I understand that Intercom can identify users if a Web Application and the help center share a top level domain. However, I'm asking about linking to the help center from a Native Desktop Application, identifying the users in some fashion with query parameters or any other mechanism.

I spoke with some engineers from your team over Google Meet. It sounds like Intercom does not support this use case, nor does it accept query parameters to set the user_id and user_hash.

Therefore, I've created an intermediary landing page we link to from our native desktop app that shares the top level domain as the help center. We pass the user_id and user_hash as query parameters to that intermediary site. After the user accepts cookies on the site, it sets the user_id and user_hash with window.intercomSettings, loads the intercom messenger, and then forwards the user to our help center once the cookies have been set by the messenger.

This is the only solution we could come up with that allows us to link users to the help center / messenger from a Native Desktop App.