Question

Best way to extract all email opens on individual level from API

• 9 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi,

My colleague asked me (amongst other things) for a programmatic export of "email opens" from Intercom, on an individual contact level.

What would be the best way to accomplish this?

I've looked into the API endpoints, but the "messages" endpoint has no documentation and other endpoints aren't very suited for 'bulk' exports.

I've also looked into the 'export' endpoint, which allows me to do a bulk export, BUT only emails sent within the selected time window are included in the 'receipts', and if a user opened/clicked after the time window this is not in the report, and the time window is limited to 90 days.

The combination of this makes it very hard to export a complete overview of (for example) email opens on an individual level.

I hope there's a good solution that suits our needs.

Kind regards

2 replies

Userlevel 2

Hey @bruno d​! Daniel from Customer Support Engineering here 🔧 

From the Customer Engagement > Overview section, under Reports, you can specify to receive a detailed Stats report which will include all Clicks for your messages. This won't get the information at an individual level, but at the message level. You would need to compound your stats here for all emails and filter by user ID to retrieve the data per contact. You can specify an all-time date range for this export. I know it's not exactly what you were looking for, but this would be the most comprehensive way to get the data for these email clicks.

Hope this helps 😁

Hi,

Thanks for answering,

• When I try to export using the full data range, I get an error saying "We were unable to start your data export". When I take a shorter range, it works. Could it be that the limitation that is applicable for the API als is valid here (but not communicated) ? The API has a limit of 90 days for this kind of exports.
  • I was asking for a programmatic solution, which means from a program (code), ie. via the API. But the API allows me to export the data in a similar format, so your answer did help. In fact, I only look at the "receipts" table in this export, which also includes the (first) open and click.

When using the API, I do encounter another issue however, but I'll create a separate ticket for that.