Answered

Is it possible to prevent page view tracking for certain pages / installations?

• 27 January 2023
  • 3 replies

I have two different places my app takes effect: Main web and Chrome Extension

I want page view tracking in the main web app. But, I don't want page view tracking in the chrome extension installation. This is because it's implemented as an IFrame, so the page is always the same and provides no value.

The chrome extension activity is tracked by custom events, so I am still covered there.

icon

Best answer by Joseph S. 27 January 2023, 22:59

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @steve b13​ ,

As far as I know, Yes, you can do it!

You can do it through using the Intercom JS API to disable the automatic page view tracking for the Chrome Extension installation, and only enable it for the main web app. You can write a JS code snippet for this and place it in the JS file that is hosted on the Extension installation and the

isChromeExtension.

Perhaps this can help as a starting point: https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/175-set-up-event-tracking-in-intercom/p>

I hope this helps you the slightest.

Oh excellent! Do you know the particular API key? I read through but didn't see anything mentioning this.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

So, I took a deeper look and as i understand, for this, you will need to hide the widget launcher if it's not a chrome extension, because as per the Intercom help center if you have it, intercom will automatically count the page views

Here is a JS code snippet if you will go for it:

window.Intercom('update', {

hide_default_launcher_badge: true

});

I am not aware of a method to allow you to have the launcher and still separate or avoid counting the views, and I believe that sadly there is no such a way 😔 Sorry if my previous answer caused any confusions!