Answered

Can I use language_override value instead of Browser Language to send user messages?

• 20 February 2023
  • 2 replies

• New Participant
  • 1 reply

According to this article:

https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/180-localize-intercom-to-work-with-multiple-languages/p>

we can send users messages in their Browser Language. Is it possible to send them messages in the language_override language instead of browser language?

icon

Best answer by Racheal 23 February 2023, 22:42

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @lesh​ Racheal from the support engineer team here👋 

If a user has a language_override value then that language will always be the language that the user has messages shown in. The Language override attribute will always force the language value provided. For context- Browser Language is the default attribute we use for determining a user's language, and this is automatically filled in when the user is tracked by the Messenger installed on your website. This is what's used to determine what language the Messenger will present for your users.

Language Override is an attribute provided to you, so that if you ever want to force a language for a user regardless of their Browser Language, you can set it in this attribute with a manual update. If this attribute has a value, this will also determine what language the Messenger will be for your users, and will "override" and take priority over the Browser Language.

You can read more about how Intercom handles language localization here!

Thanks Rachel!

Thank you, all clear when it comes to the Messenger. I wonder if the same rule applies to email messages sent from Intercom? There's email editor which allows me to select user tags/parameters, and among them there's Browser Language. I would like to override that with Language Override attribute so that emails sent from Intercom are in the same language as messages in the Messenger. Would that be possible?

Thank you,

Lesh